Breast cancer means a cancerous (causing infiltration and destruction of tissue) growth that originates in breast tissue.
The risk of breast cancer increases with increasing age, mostly among females.
Usually an excess of estrogen stimulates the growth of the tumour.
The causes are
- Positive family history.
- Early menarche
- Late menopause.
- First child after thirty years of age.
- Excessive body fat.
- Prolonged use of oral contraceptive pills.
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for 10 years or more.
The symptoms are
- A painless lump in the breast
- Dimpling of the skin in the area of the lump that looks like orange peel.
- Inversion of the nipple.
- A bloodstained nipple discharge.
- Pain in breast.
- In Paget’s disease: patch of dry, flaky skin on the nipple. A change in the appearance or texture of the breasts.
- General symptoms: malaise (weariness) :loss of appetite, fatigue, thirst, fever
One needs to know about the complementary therapies that can help in the healing process.
- Relaxation exercises
- Psychological counseling.
- Family and colleagues support
- Psychological support
- Appropriate nutrition
- Treatment of cough, pruritis and nausea
- Family and friend’s support